Monday, August 10, 2009

Everybody's Working for the Weekend...

Ahhh, Loverboy. Who doesn't love them some early-80s-hair-glam-meets-bad-clothes-from-the-end-of-the-70s? But, they spin a pretty good tune, namely: "Workin for the Weekend".

And speaking of working for the weekend, that's exactly what I did. Well, some of it, anyways. The part where I wasn't working, I kind of wished I was!

Saturday I assisted my friend Colleen Bell in shooting a Mormon wedding at the LA Temple in Santa Monica, then followed with a reception later in the afternoon in Fullerton. Fullerton's a great place, mainly a college town, known not only for its Cal State University campus, but also for Fullerton JC. But tucked away just off of some of the main streets are these amazing, older homes that make you wonder if you've been teleported out of Southern California. With the exception of still seeing all of the telltale flora that is the trademark of SoCal, you wouldn't know *where* you landed. We were lucky enough to shoot in one of *those* homes, large and beautiful and very rural, with a 2-level backyard (well, also with a 3rd level, where the horses and chickens resided). There were NO streetlights or sidewalks in this cul-de-sac. Tons of tall, dense trees. It was pitch black at night, no light pollution whatsoever! Literally, there were businesses maybe as little as 1 -2 miles away, but you would not guess it from this sleepy and charming street.

I've assisted Colleen on a Mormon wedding before. As most of you know, photographers aren't allowed inside during the private ceremonies. But what was especially nice about this particular event was that the bride and groom held a ring service at the ceremony for their guests that weren't present at the first ceremony at the Temple. Being that there were 2 levels to the backyard, I was able to second shoot from the upper level and get a wonderful bird's-eye view from above, while Colleen stayed down below and shot from among the guests. What was also great was how easy a day this was, as far as shooting a wedding goes... the bride and groom were relaxed and very down-to-earth, not demanding at all; they were more interested in documenting the day as a whole, and capturing the candids that make a social and special day what it is. And THAT is what I love about second shooting! I get a chance to see those unscripted moments and capture them. You know the kind I'm talking about: the kind that you suddenly see the bride cracking up at a joke in-between formal portraits; a child running a finger over the frosting of the cake... the "slice-of-life" moments that you keep going back to look at, over and over. The ones that make you laugh, the ones that capture your heart, the ones overflowing with emotion, the ones that you can't imagine *not* seeing.

I'd also like to add that shooting a wedding -- while it is physical labor and constant mental effort -- that I can't classify it as "work". Work is something you do because you have to do it. How does the saying go? "If it was fun, it wouldn't be work!" Well, while out of convenience I may call it work, I don't consider it work! (and it sounds awkward to say: "I have fun to do; I'm shooting a wedding today.") I love what I do and wouldn't want to trade ANY of those moments that I constantly go back and reflect on, and feel like they've enriched my life (hopefully just as much as my photography enriches the lives of my subjects too). And working with Colleen is a joy--she's supportive, complimentary and a positive person to work with. And she and her husband (and the kids) are such good (and fun!) people. There's a lot of people I definitely feel so lucky to have met, and she's one of them. There's so many cutthroat photographers out there that are protective, competitive and secretive about what they do... that when you find a truly good one -- one who is talented AND a good person as well -- it makes you want to pass it on. (I've talked about this pay it forward concept before in my first post; in case you missed it, you can read more about it here.)

Anyways... since I was so exhausted, I took Saturday night to stay in and rest up and NOT go out to see my fave 80s cover band, Flash Back Heart Attack. (Being that I see them play all the time, I knew it wasn't the end of the world to miss one night) Sunday, I attended a gorgeous, lavish and fun wedding for a dear friend at the Mission Inn -- love that place! It was weird to not have a camera in hand (well, not a pro version. I did bring my little pocket camera, I never go anywhere without it). I realized then I really WANTED to be wandering around, capturing the details, the unscripted moments, meeting people. But I have to say, the photographer they hired, Cean Orrett, did a FANTASTIC job. He put the pictures he and his assistant had already taken and put them on his laptop and created a slideshow (something I had already planned on doing at my next wedding), which they placed on the reception table during the dinner hour. Oh, and I got a chance to wear a really cute dress and killer dark red crocodile-textured heels! My feet are so sensitive that I can only wear comfy shoes when shooting a wedding. :-) Even then, my big toes tend to go numb at the end of a long day on my feet!

I'd like to add, a moment off-topic mind you (but you already know that I tend to be a stream-of-consciousness-type, but I always try to get back to my main point), while you may think that this is a poor idea, to mention and provide links to other photographers, that I'm a believer that there is something and someONE for everyone. Not just when it comes to marriage, but in choosing your photographer, which is why I will promote others as well as myself as long as I believe in them, not just in talent, but in personality. I figure if you like my photos, what I have to sell is MYSELF. You will hire me not because I'm marginally better than every other photographer you've seen or met, or because my prices are better or worse than anyone else, but because we connect and we are going to be in tandem on your big day. And what you're telling me -- or whomever you hire -- is that you believe in me for much more than just any job. You are showing that you TRUST and BELIEVE in me to capture -- forever -- one of the most important days of your life. And I take that very, very seriously. But I also believe in fun, and that everything in life can subscribe to a "work hard, play hard" attitude. And when you marry ('scuse the pun) those two aspects, well -- life is just a whole lot more enjoyable.

So I guess I've rambled enough for tonight. I'm going to be posting some pix tomorrow -- you know, the whole reason you've come to my site in the first place! To LOOK AT PICTURES! Today has been about recovering from all the wedding fun, but I'm ready to get back to work and get my site up to speed so I can launch it. If I'm on top of things, I hope to do that this week.

Until next time, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment